A parent receives child support funds in a divorce or separation situation in order to provide for the basic necessities involved in raising children. If you find yourself in need of a child support lawyer Denton, Texas or Cooke county, The Law Office of Brent Hill can help you get the finances Texas law says you are owed.

A divorce or separation is always difficult for every member involved, but it can have a very large effect on the children in the middle, as well. With the considerable emotional stress a divorce or separation can put on a family, the last thing you need to worry about keeping your children properly fed, sheltered and clothed. Your children have the right to grow up safe, comfortable and happy, and we want to help you insure that the needs of your child or children are taken care of.

Frequently Asked Questions about Child Support in Texas

Here are a few of the questions we get asked most often about child support and custody cases in Denton and Cooke county:

Q: Which party has to pay Child Support?

A: In general, the parent who designates where the child will live is the one eligible for support payments. In a case where custody is determined by a court order, then support will have to be paid. In cases where an agreement is reached between parties, you are free to determine who, if anyone, will pay support.

Q: How is the amount of support I have to pay determined?

A: Texas Family Code provides guidelines for the determination of the amount of child support that would be owed. In court-ordered custody cases, there is a good chance the judge will stick to these guidelines. Loosely, the guidelines require a percentage of your net income based on the number of children for which support is being paid.

Q: For how long will I get to receive / have to pay child support?

A: In general, the law requires support to be paid until the child or children are 18 years old. Exceptions include cases where the child becomes married, dies, or otherwise is emancipated prior to turning 18. Additionally, if the child is still in high school when they turn 18, support may be required until they graduate.

Q: What can I do if I can no longer afford my child support payments? AND My ex is making a lot more money now, how can I have my payments increased?

A: If the financial situation for either party changes since the child support order was issued, a child support modification may be the solution. This means basically filing a petition to request that court modify the existing order. If you live in Denton, Texas, Cooke County, or the surrounding area, give us a call if you have more questions about how to file such a modification.

Q: My ex refuses to pay the child support. Is there anything I can do?

A: If your ex-spouse is not following a court order, the next thing to do is file an enforcement. In Denton and Cooke Counties, The Law Office of Brent Hill can help you do this to make the process as easy as possible. Asking for an enforcement basically means asking the court to enforce the order it already gave. The best way to proceed is to contact your attorney and discuss what options will work best for your specific situation.

Child Support Modification

For any number of reasons circumstances in your life or the life of your ex may have changed in a way that would require modifying the custody order the court issued in your case. These include but are in no way limited to:

  • Job Loss of one of the parents
  • Illness or Injury
  • Job Change
  • Preference of the Child
  • A Change in income level

Our child support lawyers in Denton can help make sure your family is appropriately provided for. We make your children’s well-being our priority, and will fight diligently to ensure that you receive any compensation that you may be due to help take care of your children, regardless of the relationship situation between the parents.

To learn more, contact The Law Office of Brent Hill at our Denton office for a free consultation to discuss your case.